Sunday, December 6, 2009

things that are transparent


It now seems sort of redundant to talk about Transparent Things since it has passed, but we really did not seem to have enough, nor any time to discuss the work. The little time we did spend though, was beyond helpful in understanding the story especially when it came to narration/ authorial voice. Reading it after we discussed it, i felt spoiled and privileged because i could see and understand the idea -i suppose- behind it. The narrator(s). I am somewhat saddened by this, I wish I had been on top of it, read it before we talked about it, and discovered what was waiting for me through my own reading. But...as much as I'd like to say I am completely self confident, I am not entirely sure that i would have been capable of fully understanding the story were it not for Sexson/class/the blogs. And i realize how gracious i am of these things. that being said, with the aid of the teacher and fellow classmates: I loved Transparent Things and i got it! I feel i really understood and followed what and who was going on throughout the story. Although i did read the story twice on my own, having the class discussions prefacing the book served almost like pre-reading for me. again i realized how spoiled this made me, but that was simple the way the cards fell, and i appreciated the help.
Therefore, here are some commonplace notes i took while reading. I wrote them down either for my enjoyment of them on an aesthetic level -which most ever line is subject to- as well as their connection to the inevitable conclusion/ acknowledgment of omniscient narrator(s)

"Your ripped open the upper margin of the envelope. You added the beige dust it contained to the ruthlessly homogenized milk in your cup. You took a sip-and hurried to add sugar. But no sugar could improve the insipid, sad, dishonest taste." page 520

"The charm of the past Tense lay in its secrecy. Knowing Julia, he was quite sure she would not have told a chance friend about their affair-one sip among dozens of swallows." 520-521

"In fact at puberty sexual desire arises as a substitute for the desire to kill, which one normally fulfills in one's dreams." 531

"Did he ever by her a turtleneck sweater? No answer. Was he annoyed when she found it too tight at the throat?" 531.

No comments:

Post a Comment