Friday, December 11, 2009

final thoughts. this was ecstacy


As the semester comes to a close, I feel I must take a note from James and thank everybody. I can honestly say that this has been one of if not the best class I have ever had. I mean this in part due to the material, but mostly due to the classmates and the instructor. I feel the same way reading classmates blogs as I do reading Nabokov’s work, It is impossible to reference any one blog or anyone fragment. I because I would never find a proper place to stop, I would simply have to rewrite them all. Even giving “props” to any of my classmates would essentially result in me writing the class list. So to you all: thank you, this was not simply a class, this was a temple.

When I first heard that the class was focusing on Nabokov instead of Wallace Steven, I believe I was a little worried. Russian writers conjure images of cold, sterile, dry writing. Little did I know the ecstasy that awaited me.

I liken this experience; my Nabokov to Humberts Lolita.

“and then, without the least warning, a blue sea-wave swelled under my heart and, from a mat in a pool of sun, half-naked, kneeling turning about on her knees, there was my Rivera love peering at me over dark glasses.”

1 comment: